14 May, 2010

Like a Dog in Headlights.....

As I was gathering my morning coffee and the pups to sit outside the absolute worst thing ever happened - Koby made a run for it. Generally he listens to me when I yell but today was not one of those days. I already had Maggie Mae leashed up so we went after him. I'm in boxers, a t-shirt, no bra, and flip flops. I JUST woke up. No coffee even in my system yet. So at first we're walking at a brisk pace. I figure he'll get to the corner and stop like he's done once before. But today he's defiant and he runs.

I can see 46th Avenue from our front porch. It's not the busiest of streets by any means but it is pretty busy for a side street. And people don't care around here. So Koby's running and by this point I'm running too - no bra and flip flops remember. I don't know if he thought we were going on our morning walk but he's not even attached to his leash yet. I've got his lead in my hand and I'm literally dragging Maggie behind me. She is fighting me because she hates her harness and apparently she's not in a running mood this morning. Well neither am I really but I'm scared at this point. I can see Koby but he's quicker than me and I know I'm not gonna catch him.

I'm screaming his name and crying hysterically at this point. Cars are coming and going and he's not listening. I can barely breathe cause, lets face it, I've never been a runner, I'm in flip flops, and I smoke. Walking briskly is the best I can do for any extended period of time. I'm crying, coughing, and screaming for him to come back. Some guy is walking on the other side of the street, closer to Koby, and he doesn't move a muscle to help.

Now I've picked up Mags cause she's dragging me down. I'm still trying to run but between the crying and coughing it's difficult to breathe. Then Koby decides to cross the street just as a big van comes tearing down the street. I pick up the pace and I start screaming "PLEASE DON'T HIT HIM. DON'T HIT HIM". I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing but Koby becomes paralyzed like a dear in headlights. Thankfully the driver stopped short, the car behind him stopped in time too, and Koby decided he had enough play time and came running back to me. He sat down in front of me so I could put his leash back on him and I promptly marched him back inside.

Walks are good for the dogs and me. Runs are not so good for me. So I got about 10 minutes of running/jogging in this morning and we're calling it my morning cardio. Koby needs a time out from walking to know what he did was wrong. I may take him out again tonight cause I can't punish myself for his actions and if I don't walk with him I won't walk. But talk about a scared mama.....

Trying to push through the sore pain today. It's difficult because I usually let pain floor me but this is a different kind of pain. My tummy muscles are tight in a good way and I can feel my calves and upper arms. Grocery shopping will be part of my "exercise" today as I've been letting Adrian do it mostly lately. We avoided fast food yesterday and she jumped right on the healthy train with me, which made me very pleased. I know we can stick to this. It's going to be difficult but we have to do it. I want to have a different lifestyle before we have children and there's no time like the present to start it.

No comments:

Post a Comment