26 May, 2010

And the Waiting Game Ends.... Well at Least Part of it...

So I haven't really had much to report as of late. We've been hanging out at home because our finances don't really allow for much else. Even gas has become a concern lately so we are watching our every penny.

It's been over a month since either of us had income. I'm surprised we lasted this long. I have just enough in my bank account to pay my insurance this month and we have a little bit of cash on hand. We started selling things in the house partially because we're not taking them anyway but partially because we need the money. It was exciting to officially pack our first box though. Time to start Craigslisting for boxes as we're probably going to need them. It just makes us one step closer to picking that "get on the road" date. Hopefully that part of the waiting game is over soon.

I have my unemployment interview today. They put my money on hold, for a month now, because I quit my last employer. Now, multiple payroll checks had bounced, I'd been charged late fees at my bank and at my home because we couldn't pay rent on time, not to mention the whole place was a damn scam. SO I'm pretty sure everything will be fine, but this waiting has been killing us. And I just realized this morning because of the "go back 18 months come forward 12" way that unemployment figures their pay I'm probably going to be making less than I was before. But anything is better than nothing and *hopefully* we've only got another 2.5 weeks here or so. If I can just get that money in and we can float until we move we'll be okay.....

I'm nervous. Adrian hasn't been able to find a job here because the market is worse here than California. I know she'll find something good there! She's even applied to restaurants, fast food chains, and the local print shop and nothing.... So if something were to happen with my unemployment we wouldn't be able to float until we move. A big chunk of "what are we doing now" is resting on this interview. Hopefully I can get the interview person to at least give me an idea of whether I can expect the monies or not. Even if they pay me less, something is better than nothing at this point. And since they owe me for over a month it'll be two checks at once that will DEFINITELY help the process.

With the monies I'm owed from unemployment we have to pay rent and get invitations out. Supplies I'm thinking will be about $75. Postage is going to be around $20-30. So total my invites (I'm hoping) will only be about $200. That's because we have to pay $70 to get the ink refilled (which is better than the $160 for NEW ink - time for a new printer). I really want to get those out before we move. I also need to come up with another $145 for the ceremony spot by June 1 and I'm not sure if I'll be able to. Which reminds me, I need to call Sac Parks & Rec today and see what I can do about all that. So rent, parks & rec, and invites and we're looking at easily $1000. And that's if we pay nothing else.... so yea shit's tight right now.

So hopefully that wait will end today.... or at least I'll have a good idea on whether we need to panic or not. Then we move on to waiting for doctors appointments, emails, final steps, and financial aid. All the while I'll be packing here and there to make the final days easier. I'm hoping to find a trailer before loans come in but because of finances we may have to wait for that. Good news is because Adrian's loans got pushed back to middle of June we'll have more than enough to at least get home. We'll stay with my mama for a few weeks while we find a home and jobs.

I feel like I'm holding my breath more these days than ever before. I know getting to California will mean so many wonderful things for both of us and it seems so close now I can almost taste it. I guess part of me is still kinda waiting for that thing to hit that's gonna say *you're stuck in Florida! what made you think you could leave??* I'm trying not to focus on that because it's inherently negative and I need to be excited and get packing so we can get home.

So we keep playing our "I can't wait" game..... and I'm adding to my list "I can't wait until all this waiting is over."

2 comments:

  1. one thing i want you to remember is a location won't make everything "all better." some things yes, but not all. That was our move to AZ last year... I HATED the town in SC we lived, i hated my hubby's work hours, i hated the school system, i hated only having Walmart to grocery shop in, in short i HATED EVERYTHING. so i thought if we move somewhere bigger, more cultural, with better work hours for the hubs it will all be better! i'd be happy finally. NOPE didn't happen. i learned that i had made the last location bad by my attitude, by thinking the grass was greener elsewhere. my kids hated AZ, my hubby hated his new employer. i was happier but at the price of my entire family being miserable. So we moved back to SC... Now looking at our situation and location through a fresh perspective and more optimistic eyes i LOVE it. weird stuff.

    i'm not saying this to make you think CA isn't the land of good and plenty, just be aware that you're perspective has SO much to do with yours and Adrian's ultimate happiness :)

    Did this make any sense?? ha ha GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more sweetheart! When I moved here I planned on everything being great. It was a tough move away from family and friends but it was a change I was ready for. But ultimately it hasn't been a good change at all (save Adrian). I know anywhere can be "home" and anywhere can be perfect. There are just things that I need to have (health wise) that I'm unable to get here in FL. I know I could get healthcare elsewhere but why move to an unknown place when I know I can get help in CA? How the move, new house, etc. ends up being does depend a lot on attitude. And I can't wait to put that attitude into gear :)

    ReplyDelete