13 May, 2010

The First Cut is the Deepest

So I woke up today not feeling like doing anything. But I had promised myself, my puppies and my future I was going to make a change today. And I have such inspiration around me in people who have MUCH fuller lives than I do and they do 100x's more than I did this morning. So I got on the only pair of shorts that fit me right now (I don't exactly have work out gear here in my limited wardrobe) put on my tennis shoes, and leashed up all three puppies.

Now Adrian has always told me "Maggie won't walk", meaning her Maggie. But she seemed to want to go and I wasn't going far. I didn't want to over do it on my first day and not be able to keep it up. 20 minute walk, briskly, with three pups, and Mags made it the whole way. I may take Koby out again later before it gets too dark cause he loves it and it was surprisingly much easier than I thought. Of course, my calves may not want me to walk again later seeing as I haven't really exercised in like 2 or more years. We will see though.

Our walk didn't take us far but this isn't the greatest neighborhood and I wanted to avoid 46th. With one dog it might not be an issue but it's a busier street and I didn't want to chance not being able to maintain all three dogs as they were exploring as much as they were walking. I couldn't believe little Mag made it. I definitely want to shave them later though because it's getting hot here and I could tell she was hot. Thankfully there was a little breeze so I'm sure that made it easier for her.

When we got home the pups got ice water :) And I kept working. Adrian's best friend has Crohn's too and she said she uses the Exercise On Demand on her television to work out. So I decided what the heck. I'm feeling pretty good, accomplished and all that jazz. So I find the Exercise OD channel. 353 on Brighthouse Networks! I'm scrolling through and a lot of them need free weights, which I don't have, but then I come across Abs, Back and Core and it's only 15 minutes. My back causes me immense pain and I know it's because my core strength is non-existent. So I do it. I can't keep up completely with the lady on the television but I do what I can. I don't exactly have a "work-out" routine but I'll figure something out as I go. I'm really mostly concerned with my upper body and once I can get the "get fit" shoes I want the walking will take care of the gluts.

So I sit here now. Ready to face my day. I'm going to clean a bit and work on some homework. And I'm making a vow to drop the fast food. It's just been too convenient for us and it's not healthy for either of us. Adrian has had a few false starts to her lifestyle change and I really want her to get healthy. Maybe if I start and refuse the quick meals she will jump on with me soon. I kinda wanna make sure I keep her around for a while ;) We don't have the kitchen for super healthy eating but just cutting out the over over processed grease is a big step I think. I made that declaration before though and didn't stick to it.

Perhaps I have more motivation this time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you honey for taking the first steps to a better YOU.

    P.S. It's MY mother that says the thing about Mag not walking, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the weights, you can start with water bottles... a little weight is great, just go for repetition. You can also use books, but do not over do it.
    For your back, I have great exercises called "Back Blasters." They are for people with back injuries.
    1. Cat/Cows.... this is a Yoga exercise where you start on all fours, in "Table" or "Neutral" pose. Then you pull your back up like a cat crouching while sucking in your abs. Next bend way down like a cow. Repeat, but slowly!
    2. On all fours in "Table" again, lift your left leg behind you while raising your right arm in front of you. Repeat alternating arms and legs. This will get a diagonal stretch on your back that will work the muscles, but since our backs don't generally move that way it tends to not strain any injuries. Try holding the poses for intervals of 10 seconds, eventually building up to a minute - but don't rush to get there, it may take you several months.
    3. Modified Planks - look this one up to see a picture as it's difficult to describe... basically, you square your shoulders, resting on your forearms and toes - lift your body completely off the ground. But, to make it modified, rest lightly on your knees. This will strengthen your back and your arms and generally make you stronger. Aim for 1 minute intervals, but again - take time to get there! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete